Sunday, April 6, 2014

Sunny Mourning.

Biking has made the non-running days into exploration days, days of steady improvement. Longest ride ever this morning! ...Again. It's fun to be a beginner. The trend of constant tiny discoveries suits my hankering. Still it was a modest route by most any measure, but a good one for me -- just a nice hilly 12.5miles spent leapfrogging in the early morning sun with Rosalea. Great start to this rather brisk spring Sunday.

I took two full days off from biking to give the knees a really solid rest. The last thing I need to to break more stuff... And then did a very easy half-hour on the trainer last night to see how they were doing.  I (finally) started lifting again too, so between wrestling through the mud and muck at the barn and running around like crazy at work, there's been no shortage of activity, thank goodness. The knees are feeling a lot better. Of course a I type this my stupid back is beginning to react sharply to the effort from this morning. I think it just needs to stop being a baby and have sent it a memo stating thusly. I am sure it's nothing new.

Not sure what to say about the foot. Doc says to treat it like any other fracture in terms of healing duration. That means double the time I was hoping to take off from running. I am strictly forbidden from "trying to run if it feels better" since it's in an area with shitty blood supply that is prone to non-union. She wants more imaging of some sort in a couple weeks.

My somewhat uninformed guess is that it should heal up fine since I don't think the break was all the way through the bone. There is more to be said here, but the one thing I am still running these days is out of time.

Just finished a wonderful book called Medicine at The Crossroads by Melvin Konner.  The 1993 publication date made it all the more fascinating. Many issues therein are still quite relevant today -- some in different ways, some in the same. (Quick sampling:  Healthcare disparities, untreated and highly preventable diseases in first and third worlds, the gap between technology/science/medicine/surgery, why AIDS gets a ton of funding but children in Africa are still going blind due to Vit A deficiencies that would take pennies per year to prevent, why unnecessary procedures become trendy, how we need to reshape our view on antibiotic, etc etc etc.) 

Truly an enriching read! As an idealist myself, it was interesting to hear how someone else who is also quite idealistic -- about what healthcare is & should be -- channels his ideals into a down-to-earth assessment and strategy. Also, chapter 2 was, surprise!, a great piece on Paul Ehrlich's work. It is such an honor to share some bit of his DNA. One thing I feel lucky to always have close at hand:  Motivation. Indeed, we do not choose our ancestors, but they still help us choose...

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?