Monday, July 22, 2013

Flying.

Enjoyed running moderately with Pete in the six mile Bradbury Scuffle last weekend.  We split up a bit toward the end, but I wasn't alone for long -- I had a blast battling out the last mile or so with Karen from Augusta Trails.  This is a very rare occurrence for me!  The timing worked well as I seemed to take almost an hour to warm up that morning.  Did several miles before and several after to get up above 10.  A rare occurrence these days.  Not a day to be proud of but definitely one to be thankful for.  Cough is three weeks old  today and still tapering.  Annoying but unaffected by running.

The next morning was much swifter 6+ mile loop with Squirrel.   It was early in the morning and raging-hot.  We almost asked some garden dude with a hose to hose us down but we settled for running through some one's sprinkler.  Running to the ocean is a great way to start the morning.  Note to self, next time just run straight into the ocean if it's that toasty out...

An even faster 6 point something mile loop happened on Weds night.  Colin and I tore around P-town at dusk.   He was trying out some gear for his upcoming first time pacing at VT 100.  It was a slow run for him but a fantastic tempo for me.  Great running company and conversation these days!    

Drowning a bit at the moment in school work.  Dreaming about capillaries and pressure gradients and gas exchange and cranial nerves and cyngulate gyrus and hepatic portal veins and duodenums doesn't seem like a good thing but maybe it is.  Time will tell.  I am slowly finding and linking bits of familiarity on the beautiful, mysterious universe that is human anatomy and physiology.

What I am actually learning is (cliche alert) how little we know, how little I know.  The vastness of not-knowing is a powerful yet unbalanced sensation, as I experience it.  I find there is often a little tug on my sleeve that begs for reassurance.  Usually with some sleep and decompression involving granite/wildflowers/footsteps/etc, I can find said reassurance inwardly.  Sometimes not.

Savoring the uncertainty of the depth of mystery (for lack of better term) is a unique challenge (for lack of better label), but, if I catch it in the right light, I can see the physiological universe as a variant of the same sort of endlessly-intertwined abstraction toward which I've long been drawn.

In a desperate and slender fenestre of time, I headed to Acadia the other day to sneak in some mountain time with Tim.  He'd been up since 3am traveling from far away lands, but like a true Maine soul, he saw the opportunity for some mountains and sea, and he did not think twice.  

I was mid-struggle on another awesome take-home exam from my instructor, fellow Trail Monster, Dr. Walker.  Many of the 65 questions had presented opportunities for hours of fruitless seeking.  While the paths are usually really interesting, I would often find it hard to know if I was getting warmer or colder.

The final five questions had been essentially sitting unanswerable for a few days, as I remained repeatedly unable to figure them out.  I could tell I was over-thinking, missing the major points, and just simply not moving forward.  What to do...?  I put my notebooks in my pack and we climbed.  

After a sunny, breezy, and blueberry-filled ascent (via lovely Gorge Path) and descent (via breathtaking South Ridge) of Dorr Mountain, we sprawled on the summit of Kebo and co-tackled some of the final questions.  It is good to have smart and over-educated friends... 

It was a necessary dash.  The transcandescent sun was quite low when we finally peeled ourselves off the just-barely-still lukewarm granite.

Today, I am back into the depths, once again.  The flat tire was relatively easy to fix but will I be able to memorize all that needs memorizing by this evening?  Endless, it is!  Off to go have another stab at it...!


2 comments:

What do you think?